Happy Earth Day friends!
We spent some time playing outside, enjoyed the sun, the air, and working up a sweat! Haha We also created our Earth Day craft outdoors and had a tiny guest “crafter” aka my youngest, M.J., join us! He’s all of 22 months but he really enjoyed the watercolors and brushing his paper wildly with paints. Or maybe it was dipping his brush in the colored liquid and spilling lots of it. LOL. Either way, we had fun and it came together very quickly. And guess what?! We created our own watercolors on top of that with craft paint. Check it out below!
Click on photos for a closer look
What You'll Need
1 White Heavy Weight Construction Paper
1 Pink & 1 Black Construction paper
Large Mug/Small Bowl
Craft Paints (Blues/Greens) & Brush
Small Mixing Containers
1/8 C. or 1 OZ. Water
optional: Wax Paper, Cookie Tray, World Map,
These paints came out so nicely and you can vary the color strength easily.
Mix these first or later in the process, I chose to do it first.
We have 1/4 cup (2oz) of water here which was too much. It took about 3 squirts of paint to get our colors. You could use 1/2 the water(1/8 cup or 1oz) with 2 squirts. The amount of paint is really up to you. Mix well and then use as needed.
Optional: use a cookie tray to hold the paint and catch any paint spills.
Fold the paper in half.
Create a circle with your cup/bowl on both sides and further up on the paper.
3. Draw your world on both circles.
The left drawing will be the front of the world, the right will be the back. They can be similar or completely different and they do NOT need to be accurate. Optional: Look up map on Google, book, or globe.
4. Cut the lower half of the paper and reserve the extra piece for later.
This is where my little guy M.J. joined us. We took a break from working on our craft and let him have a try. At first he wasn’t sure about the apron and then what to do with the brushes. Sister helped him start and then he took off on his own!
He LOVED it!
He finished off his painting and then he went on to dream land(nap). We finished off his craft with ours.
5. We continued with our craft and applied the paints one at a time, then overlapping and eventually layering more to darken.
6. We then cut out both sides and let dry momentarily.
7. Glue both sides together leaving the edges open to insert the feet and hands.
optional: You can cut out the feet/hands while your painting dries or create the face. We chose the face first.
8. Punch a hole at the top
9. Fold over the black construction paper and use the hole punch to punch out 2 eyes. Follow with the pink paper to create the rosy cheeks. Then sketch out a mouth and cut that out as well. Glue all onto the world.
10. Cut out hands and feet from the extra white paper or use the black. Glue between the papers or glue on top of the paper. Make sure to seal the edges when you’re done.
11. Cut about 6in. of yarn and tie a knot with the 2 ends.
12. Feed the yarn through the hole and through the yarn loop, then pull tight.
Our Earth Day buddies!
I jokingly said that mine had “bangs” as the green around the eyes looked so much like side swept bangs.
My little guys, M.J. & M.S. doing some ball throwing & kicking and then rides down the slope!
Happy crafting friends!
Amanda and Naomi
To share: take a photo of your craft click on photo submission and submit the photo.